We hope you enjoyed your summer! The days are definitely growing cooler and winter is right around the corner.
Now is the perfect time to start thinking about preparing your outdoor living space for winter months; you’ll want to maintain your wooden deck, outdoor furniture, and paver patio to extend their life. Here are a few tips to get you started.
It’s time to prepare your deck and patio for winter
Archadeck of Chicagoland is your trusted Chicago area deck builder.
Protecting Your Deck and Patio
- Sweep the surface removing all leaves and debris to help prevent mold and mildew forming.
- Wash with mild soap and water. If some dirt remains or if there are signs of mold, you may need to pressure wash the surfaces. It is advisable that you use a professional as pressure washing at too high of a setting may cause damage.
- If you have a deck, inspect the entire deck (slats, handrails, railings, and posts) noting any rotting, loose rails, or warping. If re-hammering the nails or tightening screws causes the nails or screws to sink into soft wood or splits the wood, then the piece should be replaced.
- If you have a patio, add joining sand and sweep evenly into the joints of your patio. Don’t put too much sand on the patio at one time. Most paver patios have tight joints between bricks and won’t need a lot of sand.
Wood deck and patio by Archadeck of Chicagoland
Looking for a Chicagoland patio builder? Call Archadeck of Chicagoland.
Protecting Your Furniture
- Wash and store vinyl furniture indoors.
- Inspect any wood furniture for damage and make the necessary repairs before covering or storing it for winter.
- Cover with a heavy tarp or store inside a shed or garage to protect it from the elements.
- Clean soil from planters. Any pots made of clay or other fragile materials should be brought indoors.
Belgard paver patio in Naperville IL
Tips for Snow Removal
- If you are shoveling snow from your deck, run the shovel lengthwise across the boards to minimize scratching or cutting into the wood. Another option is to use a plastic shovel.
- Avoid salt and other ice melting substances as they may damage or discolor your deck finish.
If you are ready to discuss options for adding a wood deck and patio to your Chicago area home, Archadeck of Chicagoland is here for you! Sign up for a free design consultation or call Archadeck of Chicagoland at (847) 496.4333 to speak with a design consultant and begin creating your new dream space.